16 September 2008

First Watermelon!


Today was an exciting day! We had our first watermelon ripen today. It was so small! But it tasted like a watermelon. I thought it looked so cute. There are a few more out there on the vine. I hope they get a little bigger. I didn't know they could be ripe when they're that little. But I guess when the vine goes brown around the top of it you pick 'em. If anyone has any watermelon tips let us know - we'd like the next one to be big enough to share.

9 comments:

Sara and Dustin said...

Hurray! That's so exciting! Congratulations on seeing the "fruits" of your labors...haha! I'm such a dork.

Marisa Jean said...

I have never seen a bite-size watermelon before. I really think that is thee cutest thing I've ever seen. Congratulations on your first fruit.

Casey said...

As Gabe would say, "it's a peensy, little watermelon."
I love it. It looks yummy.

beth said...

How cool! Esther is very jealous and wants her own little watermelon now. YUM

Brandon and Amber said...

Jay's son! I don't know if Mara told you that she gave me your blog address or not, but this is Amber (Stoddard) Peterson. What the heck are you doing in Grenada? I had no idea that you were in Med School--that is awesome! I went to Sacramento a few weeks ago and got to see Mara...it was so fun to catch up. Well, I'm pregnant with baby #3 due in a little over 2 months. Check out our blog sometime and we can be blog buddies!

chubbsandthegirls.blogspot.com

Hope you're doing great!

Tim, Annie, Jack said...

okay...best laugh today for sure! that watermelon is.....tiny.(Jack size..)
love
mom, dad, annie, tim and jack

Stephanie said...

What a cute watermelon! You gave me great information. I have one watermelon but have no idea when it is ready. I will look for the brown stem. Did it taste good?

Amy said...

That's amazing. It looks so ripe. you will find no sage watermelon advice from me, mine are HUGE and not very ripe in the middle. Must be that great grenada weather. I have heard to try blood meal/bone meal in the soil...

Jayson & Sara said...

It tasted like a watermelon, but it was kind of watery. I guess you aren't supposed to water them too heavily - whatever that means. But with the heavy rain we've been having it's been watered A LOT. I'm not sure we could find blood meal/bone meal, but we'll have to look. Thanks for all the comments you guys!