24 September 2008

Losing my Marbles

Too many papers ... too many books ... too many teacher's dirty looks

It must be due to all the papers and reading dry textbooks - at least that's what I've been telling myself all morning. I've been taking an American lit class. Boring for some - enthralling for me. I've had to read so many novels and write so many papers, but I've liked all of them so far. Ok there's only been nine, but still that's a lot to read in six weeks. For me at least.

Anyway, the last one I read was Washington Square. I got all excited to read it because well the teachers introduction was just so exciting. Plus it's only 200 pages - FINALLY a short one to read! So i hunker down yesterday and start reading the thing when to my annoyance I find highlighting in the book. It's always annoying to me when there's highlighting. Unless it's my own I find it distracting. On top of that I had purchased this book years ago from a library sale. Who has the nerve to highlight library books?! Whatever, I keep reading. Further into the book I find NOTES! Yeah, seriously highlighting is one thing, but notes! So of course I have to read the notes. They're lame. But boy oh boy the handwriting looks strangely familiar... that's how I do my S's and it's funny how all the letters run into each other. It looks strangely like my handwriting. Ha. I shrug it off because I know I haven't ever read this book. None of it is at all familiar. When again, a few pages later, a find more writing and this time there's no mistake - it's mine!

That's when I start freaking out! No way! I don't remember this AT ALL! The writing isn't familiar and the notes sure as heck aren't bringing back any memories. It wasn't until the last three pages that I remember reading the book. But up until then I kept going back and forth - "I must have read this." "No, I haven't! I would remember this part." "Oh wait is this familiar?" At one point I even remember thinking - "Is this the girl who ... No, couldn't be. That was from another book, but I can't remember which one." But it was her, and those were my annoying markings and notes. I still couldn't tell you when I read the book, but I did!

So I blame my early Alzheimers onset to the many hours spent reading bla bla bla and staring at my computer screen. Danged bachelor's degree!

3 comments:

Marisa Jean said...

Ha! I LOVE it!

I'm with you--I HATE highlighting and notes in my books. Maybe I've got ADD or something but even when I try to ignore the writing and turn the page I wind up going back just to read it. I guess that's what I get for always purchasing used books.

By the way, your comment on my baby lament post was one of my favorites! I'm totally going to use it.

Tim, Annie, Jack said...

that has happened to me lots...not the highlighting and notes in my writing (that would be a definite clue:) but reading a book almost all the way through and then realizing you already know the ending because you have read it before. It's bound to happen when you are a book junkie! Glad to know there are others out there with the same problem:)

dancingtexancowgirl said...

OMG! Tewy, that is so weird! I'm completely impressed that you've read that many books in such a short time though. You STILL never cease to amaze me!