25 September 2008

My Brothers

These are my brothers. Most of you know that I'm the oldest and there's quite a gap between me and the youngest. Although I wish I could be with them as they grow up I still love them very much. So today, this entry is for them.

(I created this blog so those at home could see what we're doing here - far from home. But today I'd like to share some of home with my friends here)

So to keep it short, and because I can't possibly say everything I mean in a public blog I'll settle for a few short memories of the boys!



This is Elijah! He's the youngest. (ignore the not so fabulous picture - it was early into the photography thing :)) I was well into high school when he was born, so we didn't do too many of the typical brother sister things. I've never had a fight with him and to be frank he's never annoyed me. Instead Elijah and I went out on 'dates'. It was when I needed to run to the store and he would go with me. I was so much older and often got looks from strangers since I was old enough to be his mom, but I didn't care. He would hold my hand and make me feel special while we walked around Target together. I usually bought him something lame like a matchbox car, but he always loved it. We also had a habit of getting ready together. Chelsea and I had these big mirrors in our bedrooms and we would congregate in front of Chelsea's mirror and do our make up while 'face' (one of Elijah's many nicknames) would sit behind us and talk to us or brush our hair. He's really the sweetest kid, and I love him!

This is Jared. The middle brother. It had been a while since our family had had a baby when Jared was born and so we all just doted over him. He actually started walking later than he probably could have because we all just held him so much. I have two very fond memories of Jared. They were recurring ones too. When Jared was a baby David didn't like sleeping in his room alone in the dark. We've all been there. So David would take my bed in my room with Chelsea while I slept in Jared's room. I remember standing and watching him sleep before I went to bed. Often I would stay up reading with a flashlight while he would stand there grinning and giggling at me until I would go and rub his back to help him sleep. Those nights are treasures. The second memory was when Jared was little - maybe two - I would strap him to my back like a papoose while I went about my household chores. Jared just liked to be there on my back while I cleaned. Strange, but I loved it! He's such a kind person and I love him very much.

And this is David - my oldest little brother. He'll argue that point though. He's almost a head taller than me now. David was Chelsea and my entertainment. He would do anything we said and play any game we wanted to. Some of my fondest memories of David were our made up games 'Sonny' and 'chair dancing'. We had this rolling chair at my mom's desk in the kitchen and when David and I had to clean the kitchen I would make him sit on it while we did crazy 'dances'. Basically I just swung him around the kitchen, but we loved it. And of course David was always my willing wrestling partner. I could still take him, but he insists I am mistaken. Gotta love my David!

My brothers are the best! One of the greatest parts about being a family is that somehow you all have similar senses of humor. It's so great being around my sister and brothers because we just get to all laugh together. Love you boys!

3 comments:

Marisa Jean said...

First off, I don't think I could take that good of a photo after working on my photography for a long time. I like the look of it. It has a lot of color.

Second, the story of your middle brother hanging on your back doing chores TOTALLY cracks me up!

And finally, I have a little brother too and I swear that he will do anything. One time I made him into a ballerina: hair, make-up, tutu, tights and point shoes. He still curses me for that, but he was my real-life toy. I thought it was sweet of him.

Thanks for sharing the stories.

Sara and Dustin said...

It's so fun to read about you and your siblings. I like getting to know people by better understanding their families. Also, I like seeing their cute faces! Thanks for sharing!

dancingtexancowgirl said...

I love Elijah...