For a while I've been wanting to take some self portraits. It was hard! I didn't have anything to focus on since I was behind and in front of the camera so I had to focus on the chair and then jump in the picture and try to be on the same plane as the focus. Long story short there were tons of photos and about 5 that were worth keeping. Here are three.
This is the bw version from the one I put on my photoblog.
And for this one ... it's a really personal one to me. It's actually kinda how I see myself. This is extremely personal and most wouldn't post it on a public blog, but I just wanted to say that for me it was such an experience to photograph myself. Sound a little anticlimactic? Well there's more ... photography is more than taking a picture. It's seeing that person, really seeing them, and then capturing it in a moment. Cheesy, sure. But as I took pictures of myself it added a whole new dimension to this concept. And the words are entirely too personal, but that last photo says a lot to me about me, who I am, and what I see as me. It was a neat way to spend an hour of my afternoon. So I hope you don't mind that I was overly personal, but I wanted to throw it out there.
First Day of Kindergarten
11 years ago
17 comments:
You are so good! Next time you're in UT please let me know.
To me, the second picture is how I see you. Vibrant colors and a little smile with a lot behind it; like you know lots of wonderful things and might tell. I miss you guys. Grace is getting so big...when will we get to see you next?
Jenny
We're home in CA on the 15th! And we're in Utah the 1st! So Everetts if you want some pictures ... I'm there!
I like 2nd picture--just a personal opinion. Maybe it's that I love the colors. I ALWAYS do timed pictures. One of the joys of not having anyone else around to take my photos. Granted they look nothing like yours, but I do know what it's like to run and hope you are in the frame and focused. They are beautiful shots--it helps that the woman in them is beautiful too! :)
Beautiful pictures! I love you bangs!
I think it's neat that you even have an idea of what you look like, and could capture it in this photo! That makes me want to try. I have often looked in the mirror or seen pictures and thought, "that doesn't represent the way I see myself," but haven't been sure what would. When I darkened my hair a little bit and lost 10 pounds (well it's true) I got a lot closer. I felt like my outward representation of my inner self was truer. I've always thought it interesting that I would want the outside and the inside to match. Now to capture it in a photo. That takes some talent and skill, and I'm SO IMPRESSED that you have both and are doing such lovely things with photography. Many compliments!
I'm not that lucky to have a car yet. We borrowed a friend's while he was home. Great shots by the way. Very cute.
They look awesome! Good work, I know if I tried it I would have half a smile or part of an eyeball in there. I guess it shows your serious camera skills if you can even take photos of yourself!
You are gorgeous.
You look really great. I could send ten hours trying to take my own picture (or have someone else do it) and it would never turn out as good as yours. I guess you have to have a gorgeous subject to get that effect.
I'd have to agree that the second one is the way I see you more often but I've defiantly seen picture three as well. I'm stocked about our photo shoot but I'm sad that I'll be brace face in the photos. Can you photo out braces or would that be way to artificial and complicated?
Well I have to comment again. Because I saw you most in the ballet studio, I saw picture 3 more often than 2. So MY impression of you is the first and second pictures when you're talking with people, and the last one when you are alone or dancing (maybe just barre?) or maybe using your camera.
Thanks you guys! Just goes to show the HUGE difference there is between what we see in ourselves and what others see in us! Or I guess I should say the views of ourselves that dominate. I see myself in all three, but third one identifies with the deeper side of me. And yes, Laura! The way I work in the studio - particularly at the barre! It's such a private place - the barre. Can't wait to get back to it!
I can't believe you guys live in grenada! And I guess you are a photographer now. That's great. I haven't found a good creative outlet to replace all the time I spent dancing yet. You can check our blog at http://citizensofnewsalem.blogspot.com/
I haven't been very diligent with posting on it lately, but there is at least more on there than facebook.
Sara - i am working on that, i only have our engagement pictures right now because my mom has the wedding pics, but i will get some of the engagement pictures up soon. i promise. love you -- Ashlee
Hey Sara, remember that one time you came to Vegas with Jayson, that is how i remember you funny and personal. Have you been listening to Bright Eyes lately? I like your photography and think it is cool that is it so personal to you. I sure hope Jayson does not think the same way about being a surgeon though...could be creepy. Can't wait to see you guys in Cali. I say we drive to Vegas for a day and come back...tell Jayson to get ready to gamble and eat at the Sunset buffet. Hmmm
You are gorgeous. I've definitely seen all three of you (and more!) before! Love you.
Post a Comment