A friend of mine just went to Hawaii on vacation. I used to dream about island paradise, but having lived in one I no longer have an desire to go to Hawaii. Except of course if Kuulei took me! Anyway so she talked about some things she actually hated about her trip - granted they were minimal compared to the things she liked - and as I related to her list I decided I would post one of my own. And if anyone else down here in the good 'ol paradise wants to add or create their own list please do!!!
First I'll do the loves (it's the shorter list:))
- the weather in January and February. The evenings are awesomely cool and perfect for a walk or sitting at the beach.
- the beach. I don't go as much as I did, but I really love the beach. The water is so warm and clear and such a beautiful blue.
- Mt Carmel - awesome waterfall with little water slides everywhere that you can slide down. Plus it's always cooler up there and makes for a perfect little hike.
- our horrible piece of crap car. It's nice not feeling like poo because your car is literally a piece that could pass on at any moment in time.
- friends - being so far you really have to create strong relationships with friends. We couldn't do it without their support.
- the humidity does wonderful things for my skin
- school - it's great to get an education!
Hate list
- the bugs. I've gotten so used to finding them everywhere - on my face, in my food, everywhere. I now love lizards and spiders because they help keep the bugs down! I especially hate the mosquitoes.
- not being able to find something I want or need. And often when I do find something I want or need it's ridiculously expensive so I can't get it anyway. To give you an idea if we want to buy a pint of strawberries they're about 20 EC or 7.50! The frozen ones are even more expensive.
- the restaurants. I'm not a huge lover of restaurants, but seriously sometimes you just want to eat out. I'd kill for something reasonably priced with good food! Or just give me a Taco Bell!
- The lack of things to do. There are quite a few things to do, but it's almost always the same things. I wish there were more opportunities and stuff. Something different to fill my time with.
- No ballet classes anywhere ever. Miss the studio!
- the general dirtiness that's everywhere. It all feels so grungy - and don't even think about public restrooms - disgusting!
- the laid back attitude get's to me sometimes. It's made it so in general their customer service sucks. It's more like you have to suck up to them - beg them - to please help you. And they're blatantly rude to your face more often than not.
- the racism - if I have to hear "hey whitey" one more time ...
- the way they treat women. I can't wait to never hear the stupid kissing lips ever again! Or any of their annoying phrases "hey baby" "over here sweetie" "white goddess" from their dirty old men again!
- the cost of living - just to get stupid things like printer paper. It has made me more resourceful though. It is fun to be more creative. That's for sure.
Well I won't go on. Those are just a few of the things. But overall my attitude leaving the island will be very different from when we first got here. I'm glad we came to Grenada. I've really liked the things we've learned and done here. I can't say I'd rush back anytime soon - or ever - but it's been a good two and a half years!
First Day of Kindergarten
11 years ago
9 comments:
haha, you are so pregnant.
Seriously, I love visiting the tropical places, but I couldn't live there. I think I'd lose it. And does the humidity really do good things for your skin? I ALWAYS break out on my tropical trips.
Well I hope you get to escape the high cost of living, awful car, insane amount of bugs, and degrading comments soon.
Jayson. Sara. You are so freakin' awesome! BFF to you too!!!
I am laughing so hard to keep myself from crying! Your list is in fact 100% correct!
Yes, love the humidity. I didn't think I would ever like it, but I do! I never have itchy skin except for when I get bug bites.
Hey! Do you know what you're having yet or are they making you wait until 20 weeks? Or do you not want to know?!
OK, totally agree! Hillarious! However, I would add...the brown drinking water, no hot showers, stoves and ovens you light with a match, the days when there are so many cockroaches in your apartment that you start to name them, the power going out quite frequently, the Spanish TV, their accents that you can't understand and you have to say "what?" like 5 times before you get it, how SLOW they are when it comes to ordering food, how they cut in front of you in line...ALL the time-deliberately, the fake beef they put in their burgers, and how they rip you off at customs because, well, "they can." Ahhh, I actually kind of missed it until today. Ha! Good list! You are going to love being back in the states:)
We are excited for you guys to move back! Baby Cooley is already excited to hang out with Baby Weir. So much fun!
Taco bell shipped to you on dry ice? Would that work?
Post a Comment