
Sometimes you just stumble upon a really good book. This one happens to be one. I have a very short favorites list - Jane Eyre, Of Human Bondage, My Antonia, and now The Strangeness of Beauty. Don't get me wrong, I've read many good books, but this short list is the list of books I would read again and again and again. They explained parts of me I couldn't. So anyway, if anyone is looking for a good book this is one!! And if you read it let me know what you think. And just out of curiosity, what's your short list? I'm always looking for something good to read.
First Day of Kindergarten
11 years ago
10 comments:
Fancy that, I am looking for a good book. Thanks for the suggestion!
I was just looking for a good book, too. Thanks! I'm a picky reader too, Jane Eyre is also on my list. I read it online at work during our slow season. They have free books online, if you didn't know. Just google "books online" and you'll find a few sites. It's mostly just the classics. Maybe that'll help pass some of the time during your last 15 days in Grenada!
Sara - thanks for the suggestion. Have you heard of good reads? It is the best book sharing site. I love it. You go on and rate your favorite books and then you can see what your friends are reading and add them to your bookshelf. It is a little bit addicting! Here is my link
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1035834?shelf=read
I have gobs of books on there.
ENJOY! There is nothing like a good book to get you through the lase few faculous weeks of pregnancy. :)
The Scarlet Letter is my all-time favorite.
I LOVE Wally Lamb Books. Check out "She's Come Undone" and "I Know This Much is True." They are really amazing.
I finally finished my Sheri Dew books I brought to New York today. On Wednesday a friend at work gave me a book she just finished. It is at home waiting for me to start this weekend. I have no idea what it is about but I am really looking forward to it. I will keep you posted. Your recommendation is next!
Hi Sara,
thank-you for your short list! I am coming to realize I really need to read more. My short list so far mainly consists of adventure books. Touching the Void, Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage, and one more which is a book about a ladies life and food and has several great recipes, Tender at the Bone. I bet you are so excited to be so close to coming home!
Sara,
Here's a fun read Meghan turned me onto: Austenland by Sarah(I think)Hale. It's Pride and Prejudice with a modern twist. Hard to explain, but you will love the humor, the romance and the fun. Check it out.
Shannon Hale wrote Austenland, which I wouldn't put on a short list to read over and over and over again, but I, too, really liked reading it. Everyone has their own taste...I wonder who would agree with mine...
On my short list (books I'd read at least every other year?)
--Anything Jane Austen but especially Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion.
--My Name is Asher Lev and the Chosen, both by Chaim Potok
--Les Miserables (though I've never read the unabridged)
--The Count of Monte Cristo (I'd read it every 5 years maybe)
--Man's Search for Meaning. This is Nazi Germany/Jewish holocaust (sp?) material. There are some great books in this category. My other favorites: The Hiding Place, For Those I Have Loved, and The Book Thief.
--C.S. Lewis. Screwtape Letters, Mere Christianity, etc.
By the way, I'm loving Goodreads too! You should check it out! You can not only compare books with friends, but there are tons of reading lists that you can get recommendations from, and lots of comments from people all over cyberspace.
That's crazy that you've read all these already! Even "For Those I Haved Loved"? Wow. I'm not surprised to hear you're not the biggest Jane Austen fan--but when you've spent your shaping years (like 12-18) reading them I don't think they ever really leave your heart :)
Though I haven't finished it yet, I'm reading "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" and would recommend it. Again, this "short list" idea really limits what I'd recommend...I'm not sure that this is on it...But if you're reading a lot then it's a great one to try. I'm requesting "The Strangeness of Beauty" at the library in 5 seconds. Thanks!
Post a Comment