Dear New York,
Before we met I worried that you and I would not fit. You are so glamorous, intense, fast. I am ... not. You have the powerful career, working, running, moving up in the world. I stay at home, Mara and Jayson are my world. We were, in my eyes, opposites. How could you look at me with anything but annoyance? My huge stroller taking your subway space. My slow pace getting in your way. Not to mention my spit up stained clothes or lack of make-up. I expected turned up noses, cold shoulders, and snears.
But instead, you have surprised me. Instead of subway glares I receive help up and down stairs. You've held train doors for me. You've spoken kindly to me and offered encouragement. I'm sure these small acts of kindness mean nothing to you, but they mean everything to me. Because of them public transportation is not a chore. Because of them I feel supported rather than rejected. Because of them I feel confident to live and be.
But even more unexpected, your kindness has made me see everyone around me as a part of my world. The elderly man who needed help across the street, the woman crying on her cell phone, the wonderful people at The Mat, and the hundreds of other mothers I see everyday. We're strangers but we're all tied together by the experience you offer us.
And so in short I find we're a match you and I, a perfect match.
yours,
Sara
First Day of Kindergarten
11 years ago
10 comments:
I love this post!
Every time I go to NY, the people are super friendly and so helpful. I remember walking through Bergdorf Goodman carrying Marne when she was about four months old, and every person in there was so kind and wanted to look at her and talk to her. Another time when Marne was one, we were eating at Junior's and she really liked one of the bussers. She kept trying to wave at him, and he came over to talk to her even though he didn't speak much English. She started trying to share her peas with him, and he politely held out his hand and took them and talked to her. It was so sweet. There is definitely a certain stereotype associated with big cities, but I've always had great experiences with strangers. I'm happy you are enjoying it.
I love it Sara! I'm so happy you're enjoying your life right now!
Glad to hear it! This post made me smile! thanks.
I am glad you are loving NY. It is going to be a fun experience while you are there. Keep a good journal so you can remember all the neat people and places you see.
It must be cute little Mara in your arms...New Yorkers are total jerks at rush hour! We'll have to travel with you more often!
I can definitely understand how New York would feel intimidating! Still, I would LOVE to live in NY, temporarily... a year or two. I have to say, I kind of envy you, because it will most likely never happen for me. Sigh.
I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling at home in NY. I love all the pictures you post!
I love this post!! I am so glad that New york is treating you kind! I think it's an intimidating city! I can't wait to visit you there LOL
great post! i feel exactly the same way!!
I KNOW! NYC totally ROCKS! The two times we've been there we have been totally impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the people there.
NYC used to be a very scary place, especially Time Square. And then Guilliani became Mayor. He turned it all around and now it is a fabulous City! I am so jealous of the time you get to spend there. Enjoy every minute and take LOTS of pictures.
Post a Comment