Dr. Bakersfield,
My first impression of you was less then ... anything good. In fact you were the one place I knew I would never be happy. But because we didn't have a choice we ended up stuck with you.
My second impression of you was even worse. But we took an apartment far far away from your epicenter just to prove we could be in Bakersfield but not of Bakersfield.
I dragged my feet each morning, prolonging greeting you. I hid myself and my family away in your hills and orchards avoiding you. I only approached you when absolutely necessary. You know for things like diapers, milk, and oh yeah work (teaching ballet) and church.
But then you came and brought me oranges. You sat by me at church and held my wiggly girls. You brought your daughters to me so I could teach them ballet. You gave me a job so I could support my family then made me feel like family instead of an employee. You worked on Lu until she fell in love with you - no easy feat. You watched my babies for hours so I could feel sane. You continued to help with my girls at church so I didn't have to feel so alone. You accepted my children and encouraged me. You treated me with respect. You let me serve your teenagers. You shared your personal stories with me. You had us over for dinner. You helped in a thousand small ways but to me they removed mountains. And a funny thing happened, as you loved me I fell in love with you.
Never in my life have I felt so loved by people other than family. And never in my life have I needed that love more. You have taught me more about love, life, and serving others than anywhere else I've lived. It is this last impression of you that I will remember and treasure always. Thank you Bakersfield.
Love,
Sara
First Day of Kindergarten
11 years ago
4 comments:
OK this totally made me tear up!!! Sounds like you had a great time there. Good luck with your new adventure!
Beautiful.
I love this post. I want to move to Bakersfield.
Awwww... I need some Bakersfield here!
Post a Comment