Point shoes - ya love 'em and ya hate 'em. It's always funny what triggers different thoughts. These old shoes needed replacing so I sewed new ones. As I sewed I thought about the several pairs of shoes I've kept and the performances I wore them in.
I won't get too sentimental, but I was just appreciating how different these two pairs of shoes are. These old ones
started out like the new ones
but then after just a few weeks they still end up looking like this.
They've changed shape, they're dirty, and they show wear. But they're comfortable and fit perfectly. It's the new ones that are awful. I dump water on them to soften the box, scrape up the bottom, pull out the top nail, and bang them on cement just to try and get them to look like the old ones.
It's the old and comfortable ones I always try to wear again. And they're the ones that hold the memories of past performances and accomplishments. I broke my arm in point shoes, among other things. And in taking a risk at being overly personal - I've come to all my greatest conclusions and my most important decisions in a pair of point shoes. Who knew dancing on your toes could be so wonderful?
First Day of Kindergarten
11 years ago
15 comments:
Oh! You're pregnant!
Pointe shoes are the most amazing thing that you love to hate, but you can't help loving them. They bring something amazing out of you every time you slip them on. I miss mine . . . and I always will.
Good memories indeed!
I am jealous that you are in such good shape to still wear and use yours. I think that a worn out pair of ballet shoes are beautiful for all the work done in them.
You're pregnant?? Just saw the babynamey thing! Congrats Sara! You will be great at being a mom!
ok, so I totally stole the idea of the prgnancy badge for the blog from you guys:) Anyway, this doesn't have to do with your shoes BUT....
I MISS YOU GUYS! Come home soon :)
Congrats on the upcoming Baby Weir! I am excited for you guys. Parenthood is awesome, you guys will be great! Hope you're feeling well!
What a sly kind of announcement! Sticking the babycounter on like that...
I'm so thrilled for you guys! What a lucky little baby.
I was at a Valentines party with Jane and Audrey and a handful of us were discussing our cameras and how we'd love to get good photos of our kids (aka: photography). I wished I'd figured things out before having kids like you have! Smart girl.
I used to hate the first few moments of wearing new point shoes--but I also hated when they were nearing the end of their life. Right in the middle--when they were perfectly broken in. Yeah, that's where I liked them. I love these pictures. I actually am feeling a little emotional looking at the point shoes. Even though I teach, it's just not the same as being the one wearing the shoes. So you still do pointe?
Yup, still do pointe. Can't say I'm as strong as I once was, but I still try to make myself do things. I'm hoping to be able to do it as long as my feet can!
Okay, I'm an idiot and just BARELY saw your baby counter. CONGRATS!!! When are you due? I'm certain you'll come out with a new post all about it, so you don't have to answer that, but still. I'm super excited for you!
What a great post! We have a set of your beautiful point shoes as a decoration on a shelf in Addie's room, so we can always remember you guys!
The best hockey gloves I ever had smelled like 10 year old cheese doritos! Gotta love the character that the worn out look brings.
Good thing you like Katie's blessing dress...if you have a girl, you might have to use it too (not really, but all the girls have so far...mom tried to make it for Pearl and ended up buying a really expensive one at Nordstrom, which we all swore we would use...:) Unless we both have girls, then we'll have to fight over it at the double blessing:)
Oh!!! Baby Weir is on the way. How wonderful. That is going to be one artistic child if they are even a tiny bit like their parents!
I love this post. The feelings that come up when I see point shoes are hard to put into words. Love and hate are pretty good though. I will stop there because I could go on forever about the love and hate that they bring up.
Post a Comment