July 26th, Sunday - Mara's Blessing
July 27th, Monday - All our visitors in town for the blessing head home
July 28th, Tuesday - Decide that we'd better make plans for moving to NY even though we haven't received our USMLE scores yet or heard any word from the clinical department. That isn't to say we didn't try to get some kind of promise that we'd be in NY either. I called and even cried on the phone and there wasn't anything anyone would do! Jayson finds an apartment that looks really great online and asks Dustin and Melissa if they'll check it out.
July 29th, Wednesday - We buy the tickets to come out to NY the following Tuesday night. Yes, we're crazy. Dustin and Melissa check out the apartment for us and say, "it's a steal". So, what do we do? Yes, we take it. No we haven't seen it, but the pictures look great, so we send in the deposit and the application.
July 30, Thursday - We go through our belongings one last time and sort the keepers from the garbage and pack it all into boxes. Still no word from the clinical department. We're approved for the apartment, receive the lease via email, sign it and fedex it back to them.
July 31, Friday - We head to UPS and ship our boxes to the apartment. We breath a sigh of relief that all of that's finished.
Aug 1, Saturday - We spend the day hanging out and wondering if we aren't two of the craziest people ever. Maybe it's because we moved to Grenada or something, but even though we're crazy we aren't too worried about it.
Aug 2, Sunday - Sunday was a hard day for me. I had a really wonderful summer break with the Weirs. It was very hard to think about leaving them all again. I'll miss the days by the pool, the dinners, and the ice cream cones. Hopefully they'll come visit!
Aug 3, Monday - Honestly, I don't remember what we did on Monday. Most likely it was more of the same. Oh, we found a mattress for a great deal from Macy's and so began shipping the things we didn't have, but needed, to the apartment.
Aug 4, Tuesday - We have one last party day at the outlets in Vacaville, ice cream at McDonalds, a big family dinner for Jay's birthday, and one quick last run to West Elm before heading to the airport at 9:15 pm. I have to admit that at this moment in time I was in a state of panic. I was so worried about how Mara would be on the flight. I remember telling friends of mine with kids that they didn't need to worry about their kids on their flights to and from Grenada - um sorry I ever did that! It's super stressful. Even if everything goes well it's just different. Also I'm wondering how we could possibly be doing what we were actually doing. We must have been insane! Plus we'd missed our last Jet Blue flight and I was terrified that would happen again. So we head to the airport.
The flight was fine, actually it went so well. Mara was a perfect angel. She sucked her pacifier at take off and landing to help her ears pop, she ate right before, once during, and while Jayson got our bags, and slept during everything in between. It worked perfectly.
Aug 5, Wednesday - We got in our car (I'd reserved one so Mara could have a car seat and because there was no way we would have been alert enough to take the subway) and drove to Dustin and Melissa's apartment. Our driver was super nice and somehow we ended up in a religious conversation - he was Islam. At the end he gave us a wonderful discount on the ride. We all took showers after which I rested for hours while Jayson went and paid rent, our security, and picked up the keys to the apartment.
AND - this was the best day of our crazy week - we received Jayson's scores! He passed! And we were given our clinical placement here in NY in the Maimonides Hospital in Brooklyn! This is when we breathed a HUGE sigh of relief. Best feeling in the world.
We also went and looked at the apartment. It's beautiful! I'm so excited to live there. It's a perfect little city apartment. I'll post pictures as we get it set up. We also went and saw this beautiful couch we're going to pick up today off Craig's List. Gotta love 'the list'!
Aug 6, Thursday - Today we'll start unpacking the things we do have and setting up the apartment. It's going to be another great day in the city!
I just have to say that none of this would have been possible without the Monroes. There is no way I could have just flown to NY without a place to stay or wonderful people to help us every step of the way. They have done so much for us, above and beyond what can be reasonably expected. We owe them so much - thanks you guys!


17 comments:
Congrats Jayson! That is a huge relief. I am so excited for you guys. Good luck in NY. I can't wait to see the pictures! I'm glad Mara did okay on the flight. It is a scary thing.
man - that made me exhausted just reading that! Congrats to Jayson, although none of us were worried :) Everything seems to have fallen into place for you guys and you deserve it. I can't wait to see pics of your new place. It's still so weird you aren't coming back to the island. We miss you guys a lot a lot! Baby Zane always tries to walk up the stairs to your apt. whenever we go visit the McDaniels. :( Keep those sweet pictures coming of baby Mara and good luck as Jayson starts rotations - the fun has begun!
CONGRATULATIONS!!! We knew he would pass! We're glad you are there for a while, we just booked our flights to come out last night. We'll be coming to New York June 4-7...I know it's a few months from now but that's when Jared will have a break from school. We are excited to hear all about your adventures in NY.
Hooray Hooray! We're so glad everything worked out! You guys were definately inspired. Congratulations to Jason! We hope to visit you one day. What an adventure you guys will have.
Congratulations!! Sounds like you guys have definitely passed the having faith to move forward without seeing much ahead test! I am so jealous you're living in NY for a while. I'm excited to see NY from Sara's camera's perspective!
We come to NY a lot, so we'll have to visit you!
Sara and Jayson,
You are an amazing couple who are NOT crazy but inspired! Although we can completely understand why you feel crazy...medical school has pretty much made us insane! :)
We are so glad we have been able to help you throughout your move to Manhattan. Our home is your home and we love you! Mara is part of the Monroe-Weir family now.
It is awesome that we get to celebrate our one year New York anniversary with you tonight! Charge up your camera - it's going to be a celebration!
Hooray! Keep in mind, Philly is only 2ish hours away.......
Congrats guys! Best of luck. I agree with Kelly, can't wait to see pics of New York from such a skilled photographer!
I'm so glad things went well! Good job, Jayson!!! When do you start?
Oh, I'm so glad everything has worked out so smoothly for you. What a relief! We're still waiting for our placement letter...waiting and waiting. I'm excited to meet up and play with you and Mara while the boys are off working. We'll be out there in a couple of weeks!
Can't wait to see pics of the apt, sounds like you got the couch? Mara is such a good girl, glad she did so well on the plane...I am jealous that you have a week and 1/2 to enjoy your new city before school starts....live it up while you can. love all 3 of you miss the baby already....
So glad for great friends! You are braver than I ever could be. Obviously you have faith I lack. Congrats on the acceptance, great apartment and successful journey! Now I just need to come to NY to see you! ;)
Crazy week! I am sad you guys are gone. It is a bummer we didn't get to see you again when you were here. Next time, though. Anyway, good luck in NY and I can't wait to see more baby pics and pics of the apartment.
oh my gosh! is our life at all without drama?? one point for St. George's you finally got your placement! I am so glad everything worked out, I wish we could have helped, we are just sitting here... Congrats to Jayson, we were never worried either!
Leave it to Grenada to drag their feet. I have also been experiencing frustration with that lately. It's always so last minute with them. Well I am glad it all worked out and I am way excited for you guys!!!
That is quite the adventure. I wished I had your adventurous spirit-I so could use it. Glad Mara was good for you. It is amazing how much a difference it makes to have a child, especially a newborn.
Post a Comment