Over the past few days Jayson and I were in Nauvoo for Peter's wedding (wedding photos here). I was both impressed and disappointed by Nauvoo. I was so impressed with the temple. It was so beautiful. I had seen pictures of it when it was just the foundation when I was in seminary so to see it standing there complete meant a lot to me. I was disappointed ... that's the wrong word. What I mean is I just thought Nauvoo would be bigger or something. I had forgotten that after it burned no one really stayed to keep the city beautiful. There are the few buildings that were instrumental in the church's history but really that's it. I don't know what I expected, but I thought there would be more. Don't get me wrong - it was a neat experience and I'm glad I went. It was just different from what I had in my head!
Amy and I went and took pictures of the temple - those are coming. But I wanted to post the pictures from Carthage first. It was neat to see the jail. Something I won't soon forget.


(left: the jail cell for hard criminals. This is where they put Joseph and Hyrum first, but it was too hot so the jailer moved them downstairs to a cooler cell. He determined that cell was not safe enough for the two prisoners so moved them up to his bedroom where they were later shot. center top left: the door to the bedroom, complete with original bullet hole. center top right: an original block from the Nauvoo temple. center bottom: Carthage Jail. far right: statue of Hyrum and Joseph outside the jail.)

(the window Joseph Smith fell from)
4 comments:
I felt the same way about Nauvoo when I went. I never got to see Carthage though. Your pictures are beautiful.
I guess I wasn't incredible familiar with church History to have any expectations. I was blown away by it and spending two weeks I really got to see everything and it was a very choice experience. Can you even imagine what it would have been like in it's grandeur. The Temple was especially touching. It was in the Nauvoo temple that Dave and I were the witness couple for the 1st and only time thus far in our marriage.
Ummmm. Why didn't we talk before this weekend? We were just there too, from Thursday night to Monday afternoon. I can't believe we didn't bump into each other!
We have never been, but it looks amazing and makes me want to go there today. Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures of your visit.
Post a Comment