So I've started to run. (pausing here to let that realization sink in - for me mostly) I always said I would never run. I hate it. It's 'dumb' exercise. Meaning there isn't any thinking involved. It doesn't make me feel like I do after an intense ballet class. Plus it hurts - my lungs, my thighs, my shins, my thighs, the cramps under the ribs, my thighs ... I couldn't walk normally for three days after that first run. So what possessed me to make the change? Well Jayson runs. Yup, it's that simple. Every morning at 6am he roles out of bed and goes running. And he feels better. So hey, it's something to do together right? And you'll never believe it, but I'm liking it.
For 35 minutes I sweat, breath fresh air (if you can call 95% humidity air), listen to music and just run until I can't run anymore. For 35 minutes I just run. You'd think I would need an excuse - like something is chasing me - but I don't. I CHOOSE to do this. I still don't understand it, but I feel better. Brings to mind - teaching an old dog new tricks. I wouldn't go so far as to recommend it to anyone, but I will say I like it. I feel crazy for liking it, but I do. There's something about that right arm coming down at the same time as my left foot hitting the pavement. And the wonder of looking ahead and moving. I like to suck in the air and then force it out of my lungs again. And the sweat ... I like the sweat. Have I sold anyone else on this yet?
I can't explain it and I still think that people who do marathons and triathlons are insane, but I run. I never thought I would see the day much less like they day when I run. Hell must have frozen over.
First Day of Kindergarten
11 years ago
12 comments:
Um, you are crazy for liking this. I only exercise inside in the air conditioning where I can watch old episodes of Grey's Anatomy!
I'm looking for a good picture of the Sacramento Temple to put up on my wall, do you have anything you can e-mail me?
PS we're not going to china (so sad)
Love you
Amy
Sara! I am with you 110% on this one. I just recently took up running so I could participate in a charity 5K. Running hurts every part of my body, as well. Plus, I prefer my "ballet muscles" to running muscles. Anyway, good luck with it! I still struggle, but I love the endorphins afterward.
Ha! So far this is the funniest post you've ever written!! The descriptions are priceless, especially the sweating part. Good for you though for taking up something different and for sticking with it. I can tell you this much, if you think it hurts your lungs to run in 85% humidity you should try to come run up here after running there. I'm with ya though.
My friend just told me she used to run 14 miles down here. All I could do was stare and say, 'you RAN the whole way?' If I ever like running that much ... kill me!
Good for you Sara! I've been a runner for years; some days I love it--some days I hate it. One thing I've found fairly common among a lot of runners is that the first 2-3 miles on any run is hard to get through, but once you get going, you can go for a while. I won't lie though, even though I love running, I'm with you and allie. I'd take a dance class over running any day!
I never thought I'd love running either . . . but I actually do. I'm with you on the intensity of an awesome ballet class, but running is pretty rewarding. I get bored just running the same pace, so I mix it up with sprints or hills. It makes things much more entertaining. Besides, my legs have finally slimmed down, well, running and I think Marné ate them.
the FIRST 2-3 miles are hard! Honey all I can do at the moment is 3 miles! I'll let you know if I get any further! Sheesh - I said I liked it, not that I was an enthusiast! :)
Um, when I run that will be when hell freezes! I HATE it so much. : ) Reading your post made me almost want to try it to see if I would feel the way you do now, but I highly doubt that I would.
It's official... you should be committed. Anyone that LIKES running should be committed.
It would take some serious body fat on me to convince me to start running, and I KNOW that isn't your issue.
I hope Jayson appreciates your efforts to spend time with him.
miss you guys, but I did book my flight back for Nov 11th so we'll see you in a few months!
I agree with you that taking an intense ballet class is much more enjoyable than running. But I must say I do enjoy running. I didn't say I was fast. (I am actually pretty slow) But I pretty much like any type of exercise. Except sports. I just stink and throwing, catching, hitting, kicking and whatever else you do in sports.
PS I don't love sweat so much as I love to sweat. If that makes sense. I miss taking intense ballet classes.
All I can say is that you are so much better than me :) I think that is great that it is working for you.
Amazingly, you've almost sold me on this and I actually tried it back in Hawaii with less than stellar results--meaning that I didn't do it again. Maybe I'll have to give it another go.
Post a Comment